Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
AFRICAN POPULATION AND HEALTH RESEARCH CENTER
To be a global center of excellence, consistently generating and delivering relevant scientific evidence for policy and action on population, health and education in Africa
MONITORING AND EVALUATION OFFICER
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization that carries out high quality and policy-relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre seeks to recruit a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
About the Role:
To be responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of the Center’s strategic plan; support project planning, monitoring and evaluation; provide support to the Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) monitoring and evaluation activities; and coordinate the implementation of the Center’s online Project Management System.
1) Monitoring the implementation of the Center’s Strategic Plan (2012-2016)
- Coordinate the review of the existing M&E framework to align to the strategic plan.
- Conduct surveys to collect data on key indicators to measure success and impact of the Center’s programs.
- Coordinate finalization of annual and five-year implementation plans to align to the strategic plan.
- Participate in the annual review of the strategic plan to assess progress in its implementation.
2) Implementation of the Projects Management System (PMS)
- Coordinate the review/revision of an in-house and purpose built Project Management System (PMS) to ensure sufficiency in meeting the Centre’s needs
- Review the PMS manual to align to any changes made in the system
- Facilitate training of staff in using the PMS as need arises
- Undertake periodic monitoring of the system’s implementation and share quarterly reports from the system with senior management
- Develop protocols for supporting APHRC’s partners to implement a similar system
3) Monitoring and Evaluation of CARTA activities
Support the M&E activities of the Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA), a large doctoral level training programme coordinated by APHRC and involving nine African universities and four research centers in Africa. The specific roles will include:
- Coordinating conference calls with key program partners
- Writing semi-annual progress reports to key partners and funders
- Coordinating the drafting and submission of relevant documents for annual reviews to key partners and funders
- Participating in monitoring visits to assess progress in implementation of CARTA-funded activities in partner universities
- Collate semi-annual reports from CARTA committees and fellows
- Document outputs and outcomes of CARTA activities as outlined in the CARTA implementation framework
4) Project planning, monitoring and implementation
- Provide guidance to programmatic teams in development of M&E tools within their programs
- Participate in the design, writing and review of project proposals
- Participate in capacity assessment of new partners using the Centre’s assessment guidelines
- Coordinate the organization of project inception meetings to set milestones, targets and action plans to guide project implementation
- Participate in the assessment of the Center’s impact on policy influence through annual review of contributions of the Center’s work
Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters degree in Monitoring and Evaluation or other related field
- Minimum 3 years of demonstrated progressive experience in project monitoring and evaluation, planning and management, with an international NGO. Experience working with research-oriented institution is desirable.
- Knowledge of current trends in Monitoring and Evaluation, including effective methodologies.
- Good understanding of design and implementation of evaluation strategies.
- Good understanding of computerized systems and processes
- Demonstrated experience in proposal development and report writing
- Strong statistical analysis skills of both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Facilitation and influencing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Interested candidates are invited to send applications via email no later than April 24, 2012, enclosing a detailed CV, quoting current and expected salary and providing contact details of three referees to email@example.com or to the address below. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center
P.O. Box 10787-00100 GPO, Nairobi